Break the Chains: Ending Human Trafficking
MFSA Chapter Meeting Thursday November 14
The November 14 MFSA meeting will be Break the Chains: Ending Human Trafficking at UNIVERSITY UMC in Austin, 2409 Guadalupe, in collaboration with several organizations that focus on this issue.
Did you know that:
· Trafficking in humans is SLAVERY. As many as 20,000 persons are believed to be trafficked each year within the US borders. (Department of Justice).
· Trafficking victims are men, women and children from all over the world.
· Human trafficking is the 2nd most prevalent organized crime activity in the world just after drugs and tied with illegal arms trafficking.
· Human trafficking is a $9.8 billion dollar industry in the U.S.
Join us as we explore the devastating statics about human trafficking and consider what we can do to help end it. A panel of leaders from local organizations with suggestions for ways individuals and organizations can help end this horrific practice includes the following:
1. Central Texas Coalition Against Human Trafficking Representatives:
· Allies Against Slavery – Kirsten McDermott and Annette Emery
· Refugee Services of Texas – Kay Mailander
· UT School of Social Work – Institute of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, Dr. Bruce Kellison (also a member of University UMC)
Other members of the coalition can be found at http://www.ctcaht.org/
2. Restore a Voice – Larry Megason, Executive Director
3. Against Cruel Trafficking – Lizzie Jesperson, President of UT student group
4. International Justice Mission – Trevor Russo, President of UT student group
Please join us for snacks and visiting at 6:30pm with the meeting to follow at 7:00pm. Parking: on Guadalupe just north of UUMC, LIMITED, please carpool, if possible. Hope to see you there!